Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Nacho Chicken Casserole

Everyone loves nachos; they're a great snack or appetizer, but not necessarily a meal by themselves, so what if you put everything you would on nachos into a casserole? I can't remember where I found this recipe but it's been on my "to-try" list for awhile, and I finally got around to making it. I tweaked the original recipe a little, based on my own personal experience with casseroles, and with what ingredients I have in the fridge.


Ingredients
1 cup cubed cooked chicken
3/4 cup crushed tortilla chips (I used a combo of potato chips and bread crumbs)
2/3 cup condensed cream of chicken soup (I used 1/2 can of cream of mushroom from Gluten Free Cafe)
1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1/4 cup sour cream
2 Tbsp 2% milk (I didn't add any)
1 Tbsp chopped green chilies
1/2 tsp finely chopped jalapeno pepper (I used a small can of diced chilies)
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (I love cheese, so I didn't measure :-) )
1/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

**I also added in some cooked broccoli and diced artichoke hearts

Directions
1. Alright, this is going to be tough- combine everything, except for some of the cheese, and some of the bread crumbs/chips in a casserole dish- stir.
2. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and crumbs.
3. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.

Review
I thought this was really tasty. Sort of like a broccoli and chicken casserole I make regularly, but with a little heat and a little flare, mostly from the chilies. I thought the thickness of the casserole was just right, as sometimes they can get too runny, and I am glad I did not use a whole can of soup. And with gluten free soups, remember you need to blend them with sour cream to make them "creamy, condensed" style. I will certainly be making this again.

No comments: