Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Marie's Ranch Dressing

My favorite type of salad dressing is ranch. I've tried a small selection of gluten free ranch options on the market, and none completely satisfy by themselves, until now. Ranch needs to be thick, creamy, and have the right amount of tang. A co worker of mine, who is also gluten free, kept saying I needed to try Marie's, and I looked for it once or twice but couldn't find it. The secret, it's located in the refrigerator section next to the produce area, and not on the regular condiment aisle.


I checked out its ingredients, "SOYBEAN OIL, CULTURED NONFAT BUTTERMILK, WHOLE EGGS, EGG YOLKS, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF DISTILLED VINEGAR, SPICES, SALT, SUGAR, WATER, ONION*, GARLIC*, XANTHAN GUM, PARSLEY*. *DEHYDRATED," and only the vinegar made me raise an eyebrow. I bought a bottle, and contacted the company before I ate any. Here's what they had to say:

"Thank you for taking the time to contact us and for your interest in Marie's Dressings and Dips. We have reformulated the Marie's Salad Dressings, Dips, and Fruit Glazes to remove wheat gluten from all of our flavors. We are working with our ingredient suppliers to determine the presence or absence of gluten from all sources (oat, corn, rye and barley). Once we have all that information it will be made available. As with anyone with a health concern, we strongly recommend you consult with your personal physician and/or registered dietitian to determine if this product fits your special health needs. Thank you for taking the time to contact us."

With all that said, I decided to dive in. Right now me healthy snack kick is raw cauliflower with ranch, and so I started there. It is almost perfect. Super creamy, it's got a great flavor to it. Thus, I started dipping everything in it- pizza, slices of salami, cubed cheese, you name it, I probably pair it with ranch on a regular basis. A small bottle will run you $4.00 and a large bottle will run you $6.00, when it's not on sale, so it is more costly than some options, but I think it's worth it.

1 comment:

Pam Fillin said...

Marie's is actually a favorite of mine or was before I became gluten free. But now it may be again. They make a really incredible honey mustard dressing too. I just wish they could make their blue cheese dressing gluten-free.