Monday, December 6, 2010

My First Gingerbread House

There's just two of us in my house, and I've been pondering what holiday tradition we should start together. I think making a gingerbread house might be that tradition. We went to a work party where we all made houses with a base of graham crackers and table crackers, gluten-free style, of course. Now, mind you, my husband did most of the foundation work, but we generally worked together. I call our creation the snow retreat. It looks European in design, and very well constructed.

I'd like to make another one still this year, and roll out gingerbread and bake it if time permits. As a novice of building a house out of food, there's a learning curve. Here are a few tips I'd like to share:
  • keep your frosting/glue, cool/refrigerated.
  • peanut butter doesn't work as well as thick fudge sauce
  • making a roof is tricky
  • ice cream cones upside down make great trees
I'd love to hear about what kind of holiday traditions you have, and/or about your gingerbread house experiences. And if you're in Sacramento and interested in building your own, check out this gluten free workshop!!!

No comments: