Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Oven Fried Chicken

It's was a rainy Sunday afternoon, late afternoon; I'd eaten grilled cheese for lunch, and my husband says hey so what we having for dinner. I knew I had drumsticks in the fridge, but hadn't really thought through as to what I was going to make with them. I had a quick memory of my mom's delicious fried chicken, but fried anything is not the healthiest option, so I went for baked chicken. We had been to the farmer's market just that morning, and picked up loads of fresh herbs, so I had him chop them up while I prepped bread crumbs.

I had a variety of bread crumbs, but not enough of any one kind, so I mixed them all up together- I made crumbs out of some Schar crackers in my food processor, and used the last of some corn flake crumbs, and some kinnikinnick panko crumbs, combined them all with the fresh herbs in a ziplock bag, a dash of salt, pepper, and garlic, and we had home made Shake 'n Bake in less than 20 minutes.

Give the drumsticks an egg wash, drop them in the bread crumbs, shake, add to a foil covered, but greased pan, and bake at 350 degrees for about one hour. I then proceeded to broil the chicken for exactly 4 minutes, to get it extra golden. The meat should be at about 170 degrees for drumsticks, just in case you don't know, and wallah- absolutely delicious, slightly crunchy, but so incredible moist chicken. I was super impressed. I personally think the fresh herbs had a big roll to play.

No comments: