Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Shrimp, Sausage, Red Beans & Rice

Now that it's colder outside, and work is keeping me super busy, I've been focusing on more hearty meals that supply leftovers. Seeing Aidell's sausages in stock at Gluten Free Specialty was my inspiration- I love the chicken and apple sausage, and so I took a little bit of everything in the house, only having to pick up a couple items, and made a new recipe from Carol Fenster's 1,000 recipes. To me the dish was almost like a simple version of paella, and it was delicious.

Ingredients

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 medium green pepper, chopped
2 adiell's sausages- chicken and apple
1 can diced tomatoes, with juice, or handful cherry tomatoes
1 can red beans, rinsed and drained
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp fresh basil
1 tsp fresh oregano
1/2 lb medium shrimp
2 cups cooked rice- your choice
fresh cilantro to garnish










Directions

1. Heat oil in pan, and saute onion and peppers.
2. Add tomatoes, beans, garlic, and herbs.
3. Add shrimp and sausage.
4. Mix in cooked rice.
5. Season to taste with salt, and pepper.

Pg 267

No comments: