Thursday, October 14, 2010

Now this is Something Good

I love Koalas and I love Chocolate Mud Cake...do you know what the 2 have in common? They both are based in Australia. I recently met some fellows from Something Good while on a business trip, and have finally gotten a chance to try some of their excellent products.

If you're extremely sensitive to gluten this is a company you should have on your radar, as Australia's laws on testing for gluten are much stricter than the US requirements, and for a product to be endorsed by the Australian Coeliac Association, which can be considered an equivalent to the Celiac Sprue Association here in the US, says a lot.

Now, as for the cake, well, we ate it up so quick I didn't get any pictures of it, but for being gluten, dairy, soy, and nut free, it was fabulous. When I have time I bake from scratch, but this is certainly one boxed cake I will come back to. Because of the difference in where the product is based, it suggests baking for 55 minutes at 345 degrees. I can tell you at 350 it's done in about 27-30 minutes. I added in some dairy free chocolate chips, and spread some orange chocolate fudge sauce over the top. Paired with a big glass of almond milk, I was in chocolate bliss. This cake would also be great if made into 2 layers with jam in the center.

Their cake and bread mixes aren't exactly readily available in the US at the moment, but you can pick up or order from Gluten Free Specialty in Sacramento. Who needs Betty Crocker, when I can have something this good.

No comments: