Monday, October 18, 2010

Baked Apple Side Dish

The weather man and I must have been on the same wavelength and not even know it. It rained in Sacramento on Sunday and I had previously planned to make baked pork chops and baked apples. Sounds like the perfect fall dinner, doesn't it? Especially when your dining table is right next to a window, and you can get a whiff of fresh rain-scented air while still feeling the heat from the oven, with the taste of cinnamon and savory pork on your fork.

I remember going to Boston Market once (years ago before I was gluten free) with my sister and eating roasted chicken with baked apples and some sort of biscuit. What stood out in the meal for me were the apples. I love baked apples. Apple cobbler and pie are my fall friends, and this apple side dish is close, but a slightly more savory variety. Well, at least it is supposed to be. My husband thought it was a little sweet, but let's be honest, I added a little extra sugar because I'm a sugar addict. Sorry hun.

Anyhow if you must omit the raisins or the nuts, but they really added to this great dish.

Ingredients

6 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1/2 cup white sugar, but you could use honey or agave to sweeten too
3 Tbsp flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 to 1/2 cup milk (I used Almond milk)

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Place apples in a large bowl.
  3. In a small bowl, mix together sugar, flour, cinnamon, and ginger.
  4. Stir spice mixture into apples until evenly distributed.
  5. Fold in raisins and walnuts.
  6. Spoon into prepared dish.
  7. Pour milk evenly over apple mixture.
  8. Bake in preheated oven for 45 to 60 minutes, or until soft and bubbly. Allow to cool slightly before serving.

No comments: