Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Salty Dog

My chocolate adventures continue. A friend and I were out shoe shopping, and the DSW just happened to be by Whole Foods. She and I had been talking about the Vosges Bacon Bar (post and video review to be posted soon) and she figured this was the perfect opportunity to buy some and try it out. The only catch was...they were out of stock! Errrr....

Standing, starring at the chocolate section, many bars intrigued us. With our primary mission unavailable, we couldn't leave empty handed. In the end we decided to try out the Salty Dog Bar. The name alone had me, but then when I read it had toffee, I was sold. At about $4 a bar it was a gamble, but my curiosity won me over.

The salty dog bar is from B.T. McElrath, a chocolatier based out of Minnesota. According to the company the only item that would contain any gluten is their lemon truffles. The "natural flavor" in the salty dog slightly concerned me, but their product does have a "contains" statement, and my understanding is that now that wheat is one of the eight listed allergens, it would have to be listed within the contains statement,if it were present, and thus I feel comfortable eating this product.

There are some great things about this bar. One is that depending on how you eat it, salt on top, or salt on bottom, the flavor palate changes. Additionally, sometimes I find super dark chocolate to have somewhat of a bit, but this was very smooth. I'd give it 7 out of 10 for my overall enjoyment.

*does contain milk and soy.

2 comments:

Olinda said...

Ok, I am intrigued.

Anonymous said...

Seen any decent cheesecake recipes? I found a decent mac and cheese recipe at the below site:

http://www.egluten.com/

I also found a decent apple pie recipe at the below site:

http://www.glutenfreedaily.com/