Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Gummy Candy Kitchen Experiment

So if you haven't caught on yet, dessert is one of my passions. Sure I can bake a mean entire, but I really like to experiment with cakes, candy, chocolate, etc. My chocolate birthday cupcakes sparked my current kitchen experimentation: candy making. I thought it would be fun to make some of my own gummy candy. I was not going to invest in any fancy candy molds before I knew this was going to work, so I just poured my mixture into tubberware.

From my research the primary ingredients of homemade gummy candy was water, flavored gelatin, and multiple packets of unflavored gelatin. I added in some Vitamin C, as it sounded like this would give it a minor sour taste. On my first attempt I decided to go with peach flavor, and used 3OZ of unflavored gelatin, and the flavor was good, but it became overwhelming hard, not the stretchy fake rubber feel of gummy bears. Now some of the recipes I found online were the same as mine except for they had 3X the amount of unflavored gelatin in them which just seems scary considering how firm my first batch turned out.
On my second attempt I changed both my recipe and my flavor. This go around I went with pink lemonade, decreased the unflavored gelatin to 2 OZ, and increased the flavored gelatin to two packets. This time I was feeling a little bit more confident and decided to use an ice mold a friend picked up at Ikea. About two hours of being in the fridge I checked on it, and well....the taste is good, the texture was better than attempt #1, but my husband told me it still dissolved too quickly under the tongue like jello. I however didn't feel as strongly about the dissolving issue. On a scale of 1 to 10 on similarity to store bought gummy candy I would give these a 7; my husband gives them a 5.
I may continuing tweaking this recipe, but wanted to share in case you had any tips or wanted to play with it yourself, but for now I'm generally satisfied with my result and have the urge to move on to making fudge and bourbon balls.

Ingredients
1 cup water
1 6 OZ packet of flavored gelatin, flavor of your choice
1-3 OZ of unflavored gelatin (Natural Desserts or Knox)
1 Emergen-C Vitamin C Packet, flavor of your choice

Directions
1.Stir together all ingredients in a saucepan over low heat.
2. Leave on heat for about 5 minutes, just to the point of starting to boil.
3. Pour into molds and store in fridge.

Optional: Dip gummies into sugar.

2 comments:

Traci said...

I'm with you...dessert is the best :) I LOVE gummy candies. I'll have to give this a try!

Olinda said...

They are pretty aren't they? I will have to try these but I need a mold. I will try Michale's.Good luck on the balls!