Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Progresso Soup goes Gluten Free

During a regular grocery shopping I saw that Progresso soup was on sale and thought I'd pick up a jar for my husband. When I picked up the jar and turned it around to check on the sodium level, I saw something that I had not previously seen on the Progresso label: Gluten Free.

I came home to research this a little bit more and discovered that recently the Progresso line added "gluten free" to several of their soups, including Split Pea, Manhattan Clam Chowder, Potato, Broccoli, and Cheese Chowder, Southwestern style Chicken, Chicken Cheese Enchilada Flavor, and New England Clam Chowder (or the 99% fat free version).

I am happy to see this change, however I would still be concerned for those who are very sensitive, as it is not a clean (meaning 100% gluten free) facility, and companies can hide lots of non-favorable things under the label of "natural flavor." It's nice to see more and more main stream grocery items indicating gluten free or not, however there are other brands out there, like Kettle Cuisine, that offer delicious gluten free soups without chemicals, artificial coloring/flavoring, and any other ingredients the average consumer can not read, understand, or pronounce.

No comments: