Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Search for Gluten Free Dining Options in Redding

Once again my husband and I are taking a weekend trip, this time to Turtle Bay up in Redding, CA and so I have begun my research for gluten free options in that area. I of course started with the Cafe at Turtle Bay, but the guys on the phone kind of chunkled when I said gluten free, and then there was some muffled ums, and then ahhhhh..no. Everything sounds like it's pretty much premade, or prepacked, so I guess they're out.

I was super excited because I heard that Beyond the Icing is offering gluten free cupcakes, but what's the point of a bakery offering gluten free options when they are not even made in a dedicated area within the facility? I suppose if you're just mildly gluten intolerant, a vanilla or chocolate cupcake from Beyond the Icing might be ok for you, but if businesses within the commercial food industry want to cater to those who can not have gluten, GREAT, and I think more restaurants and bakeries need to, but don't commit just 25% or 50%; they need to commit 75% or 100% which means dedicated areas and dedicated facilities.

The only serious prospect thus far is a cafe with organic gluten free, and vegan options. GreenGo's looks like a super healthy lunch option, with salads, wraps, and sandwiches. They're open Mondays-Saturdays 11am-4pm and 12pm-4pm on Sundays. While they do not list what items are gluten free on their website, over the phone I was able to get quite a bit of information. All of their salads sound delicious, and for dressings they use all gluten free options from Annie's Naturals. I will say it's not my favorite brand of dressing, but hey, at least I know it's safe. And if you want a wrap, they do carry what they call a "rice wrap" option, which is a brown rice tortilla. I'm guessing it's the Food for Life brand, but I could be wrong. And lastly they carry gluten free millet bread if you want to have a gluten free sandwich. They told me that they have several regulars who are gluten free, and thus are very diligent about wearing new prep gloves, etc. So I'm thinking they're a good bet, but I will could on the hunt.

If you're gluten free and live in the Redding, CA area let me know where you have successfully had a meal out.

No comments: