Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Stuffed Shells

I finally saw large gluten free pasta shells at the health food store a few weeks ago and was super excited. When I was younger my mom made some delicious stuffed shells, which is pretty much a variation of lasagna, but slightly less involved. For some recipes I like to make enough so that I can freeze a portion for later, thus this recipe yields two 8 X 8 pans, so you may want to cut it in half. The only criticism I got on this entree was that it could have used more cheese.
Ingredients
1 box gluten free pasta shells
1 lb ground turkey
1/4 yellow onion, finely chopped
12 oz pasta sauce
12 oz cottage cheese
1/8 teaspoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/4 tablespoon dried basil
Salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
16 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions
1. Cook shell pasta in a large pot with boiling salted water until al dente. Drain well.
2. In a large skillet brown the ground turkey and onions. Remove from heat and drain grease.
3. To the meat add pasta sauce, cottage cheese, and 8 oz mozzarella; stir well.
4. Add basil, oregano, garlic, salt, and pepper to taste. Stir until well blended.
5. In the bottom of a baking dish, cover with a 1/4 cup of pasta sauce.
6. Stuff shells with turkey mixture and place side by side in dish.
7. Cover stuffed shells with mozzarella cheese.
8. Cover with aluminum foil.
9. Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour.

2 comments:

Jamie and Preston said...

Okay...yummy! That looks fantastic...even at 9:00 in the morning!

Olinda said...

This looks great, however since I can not eat cheese I will have to stow it and use some pasta sauce other than our beloved cheese. What yet? I don't know. I will ponder.