Monday, May 18, 2009

Lights, Camera, Green Screen

As the publicity chair for the Celiac Sprue Association, Chapter 24, I was asked to accompany the Chapter Organizer, Diane Craig, to the KCRA studio for a live interview on the Saturday morning news. I used to suck at public speaking and hated taking to strangers, really..it's true. However over the years I've been put into positions that have forced me to interact with the public on a larger and larger scale. Over the past five years I've become an advocate for healthy living and for the gluten free diet, not only for Celiac Disease but for other health-related issues as well.

It was an interesting experience being "behind the scenes" so-to-speak. I was given a mic and stood under some very bright lights listening to the banter of the newscast in-between stories, just waiting for my story to be next. I knew our story was coming up when the television prompter came my way, remotely controlled by the man behind the black curtain. Diane and I were given the opportunity to share some yummy gluten free products, and encourage people to come out to the first annual gluten free vendor fair held in Sacramento, CA. I've never been on the news before but for my first appearance I think I did a decent job. Currently you can check out the interview here.

After our 2 minutes on camera we dashed off to the fair location for morning step up. We both were hoping for a good turn out, and having a people in line at 9:45am for a 10:00am opening was encouraging.