Sunday, May 17, 2009

Gluten Free Caramels

I have a serious sweet tooth and love anything with caramel in it, but not all caramel is gluten free. Last fall I was a vendor next to a caramel vendor and figured I would be taunted by them all day since the likelihood of me being able to eat them was slim. However, I discovered that I could in fact enjoy some handmade caramels from Marybeth's Kitchen. Run by a mom who was looking for a little side hobby while her kids were in school, Marybeth continues to grow her business and opened a store front in Sacramento in 2009. She offers an assortment of caramels, with nuts and without. You can buy yourself a small bag of 20 pieces for just $5.99, or buy a bag of 50 so you always have some on hand. She also offers gift boxes and favor boxes, because really, who doesn't want to receive some caramels as a wedding favor? So if you're in the Sacramento area, why not support a local, gluten free product and stop by Marybeth's Kitchen, currently open Tuesdays and some Saturdays.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

which caramels are not gluten free?

Debbie said...

In response to the above question, I know that I have called inquiring about Brach's milk maid caramels (a brand of Farley's & Sathers) several times over the past few years and have never gotten the same answer. I've been told one of three things: "at this time they currently are," or "at this time they currently are not," or my favorite is "we do not have that information available for the public at this time." Thus, I just avoid buying any of their products.