Sunday, February 22, 2009

GF Experience: Mobo Sushi

Santa Cruz is great for local, non-chain eateries with very creative and funny names, like the Flying Monkey, and the crackers and cheese I brought with me were just not cutting it, so I decided to take a risk and try a sushi place: Mobo Sushi. With plain rice, and no sauce, raw fish should be safe, right?

Mobo seemed like the hot spot for the young crowd. A somewhat dark yet causal atmosphere, their menu had some great options and some very unique-sounding items. Our server came by and I asked the million dollar question: Are you familiar with gluten-free? And wouldn't you know, she said yes. She recommended a few items and even brought me a bottle of GF soy sauce.

I ordered 2 rolls. One was a vegetarian roll, Guido, which had avocado, cream cheese, garlic, basil, and macadamia nuts. I loved the refreshing taste, and the crunch of the nuts. The garlic was a little strong, but still delicious. The other roll I got gets high marks from me. The Silver Shadow had snow crab, salmon, and avocado, all wrapped up in seaweed. Yum Yum! 36 hours later and not one painful or loud gurgle from the tum tum. If you're ever in the area I would certainly visit Mobo again.

Mobo Sushi on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

Olinda said...

Ok, this sounds fantastic. Sign me up!