Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Contender for Favorite Place to Eat

Still riding pizza crusts are now being carried at many pizzerias throughout California. While the crust is the same no matter which pizzeria you eat it at, it's how the restaurant uses it that makes all the difference. I've had the GF pizza from Steve's Pizza in Davis, and it seems that they coat their pizza dish with cornmeal so it doesn't stick, but it gives the crust a really grainy texture which I didn't really care for.

Whatever Amici's Pizzeria does however, makes the drive from Sacramento to their nearest location in Vacaville, CA worth it! Online their website simply says you can order any pizza on a gluten free crust, however in person they have a whole gluten free menu printed, laminated, and ready to give out. I ordered a delicious Caesar salad, with freshly made Caesar dressing. For just being lettuce and Parmesan cheese, it was heaven to the tastebuds. Then I ordered the Calabria pizza, which is covered in mozzarella, provolone, pancetta, and tomatoes. Normally it just has olive oil instead of sauce, but I ordered it with tomato sauce and let me tell you if I had wanted to be a complete pig I would have eaten the entire pizza myself.

The staff was generally knowledgeable and they even had gluten free beer. And twenty four hours later there are no signs of being glutenized! I haven't had a pizza box in my fridge in forever, and the leftovers I brought home didn't last very long, as the pizza was great cold for breakfast. Amici's may just be my new favorite place to eat.

Paul Martin's American Bistro on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

Olinda said...

Next time I am up lets make this pizza run!