Saturday, November 15, 2008

Another Saturday: Another Craft Faire

Let me preface that at the faires we do that allow both handmade and company reps, 90% of the time I find myself next to the one, the only, Cookie Lee Woman. By woman I mean a typically young, busty blond, covered in way too much makeup and way too much jewelry. And today I found myself sandwiched between two of them! The war was on, because of course there can not be and should not be two reps from the same company.

There was a heated debate but unfortunately there was no hair pulling as that would have been the highlight of my day. The one claimed her territory and the other eventually caved. I just do not get the attraction to Cookie Lee: it's the same kind of jewelry you can buy at any department store for the same price or more. Are we just so brainwashed into sporting "the label?". I guess there are two kinds of shoppers: the label whore, (trendy, mall dwellers), and the label reject, (bargain buyer, interested in finding something unique).

All the vendors were noticing a change in buyer behavior, however you are not going to have many sales when there are not any shoppers. We were fortunate with the sales we had. Although I have to say I was slightly annoyed since with all the hype associated with the event I felt it necessary to stay up quite late last night to finish up our holiday stocking stuffers, and then barely made any sales.

It was a long, exhausting day, especially since all I ate was gluten free pretzels with cream cheese, but finally this evening I find myself ending my day with a delicious cheeseburger with extra cheese from In & Out Burger.

1 comment:

Olinda said...

Well, there is always going to be those kind of people. Although I think I might have paid to see the hair pulling part if there was any. Girls fight funny. "Punch me out but don't ruin my make-up." Huh? Anyway, we should be thank-full for our unique offerings. Shopping is just now getting under way here in SD. Give it a little time. The closer it gets to Christmas the more they will be thinking about stocking stuffers. Not do we have a fab label but we carry unique products. Gluten Free products for grown ups can be hard to find. That's what made me develop Oli's in the first place. I am confident that sales will rise.

What you need is to have some yummy gluten free bread to make sandwiches to keep on hand. Remember? Make a ham or chick sandwich with Oli's sauce. Ummmmmm.
Thank you deb for working so hard at all the fairs.