Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Vegetarian Sloppy Joes

When I was a kid I hated sloppy joes.  I generally still have a thing against sloppy, mushy foods that require a bowl because they have no form, but slowly I'm coming around. I've developed a chili recipe I enjoy, and have been playing around with more healthy options.  Last week I tried out a recipe for lentil sloppy joes from one of my newer cookbooks, Gluten Free on a Shoestring.

Rice, lentils, and vegetables are the main components of this dish, and thankfully unlike how we had sloppy joes when I wasa kid, it did not involve ketchup. This recipe has the perfect consistency for eating it by itself or for putting it on a bun, and I really enjoyed it. The one thing that I do not agree with is the recipe's yield size, which is listed to feed six. Using all the measurements listed I made enough food for 10-12 servings, so if you just want a little, I'd cut the proportions in half.  Otherwise, the author is right on for taste, texture, and friendliness to the budget.

1 comment:

Mom said...

oh my, you must be a grown-up now