Monday, September 19, 2011

Elemental Herbs

Whenever I'm at the store I check out what kind of chapsticks are near the register.  I recently discovered Elemental Herbs Chapstick, and found they make an all healing balm, and sunscreens as well. The company is based in California, and they seem to have a pretty straightforward philosophy- "offering natural healing products that are good for people and good for the earth."

The original stick has a slight fragrance to it simply from the natural ingredients and not an added scent.  It almost smells like fresh flowers. It goes on nice and smooth, so it's the right consistency, but it feels a little waxy for me, probably from the beeswax. I feel there's some room for improve here. 

On a scale of 1 to 10 out of all the chapsticks I've tried out, I give this one a 4.5; slightly below average but certainly not the worst I've tried.


I have also purchased their sunstick and was really disappointed with it.  It is unbelievably thick. Normally you can use a sunstick on your neck and shoulders, and once you do a few streaks on your skin it starts to heat up and soften so you can kind of rub it in if you want. This stuff doesn't budge.  In fact I ended up getting a funny tan on one of my arms while out int he sun one weekend because the two lines of protection didn't cross.  It almost reminds me of paste we used in kindergarten.  Looks, feel, and smell. I think I'll be passing this brand up for a different option next time.

(USDA Certified Organic Original Ingredients: Organic Calendula*, Organic Comfrey*, Organic Lavender*, Organic Plantain* and Organic Yarrow* Infused in Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil* with Organic Beeswax*, Organic Essential Oils* and Vitamin E.)

No comments: