Thursday, April 28, 2011

Oreo Truffles

Since the holidays I have been wanting to make oreo truffles.  Three simple ingredients- oreos, cream cheese, and chocolate- plus time, and patience. I finally got around to making them- 5 months later.  I used kinnikinnick gluten free oreos, but you could use which ever cookies you want.  Crush up your package of cookies super fine in a food processor or blender and mix them with one package of cream cheese. I used my favorite mellow baller to scoop balls out and put on parchment paper.  I let the truffles firm up in the fridge for about an hour, but until they got covered they looked like little turds.

Later I came back and melted the bar of milk chocolate I bought in the microwave and used a slotted spoon to roll them around in the chocolate.  You'll need to act quickly, but diligently to cover it completely.  Make sure to let some extra chocolate ooze off before you put them back onto the parchment paper.  When you're all done covering them you can choose to sprinkle extra cookie crumbs on them- I skipped that step.
Once they're all covered pop them in the fridge or freezer to firm up a little, and then store them in an airtight container in the fridge. You really don't need more than one of these a day, because they're really rich, but oh so good! And you surely could make them dairy free too, if needed.

1 comment:

Olinda said...

Well, I will just have to try these...is it a cookie or...a candy?