Monday, April 11, 2011

Breakfast Casserole

Applegate Farms sent me some samples of their breakfast sausages, both pork and turkey, and they were rather generous with the amount they sent.  As a non-breakfast person I had to figure out something to do with them besides just eating them with maple syrup.  So with a little bit of research I found a recipe I liked, and with some tweaking I finally was able to make in my oven for Sunday breakfast.

This dish makes a great presentation, and super easy to fix.  It's basically a giant omelet with pancake mix added in. As for taste....

it was good. I probably would suggest cutting the sausage into smaller slices instead of larger chucks (I cut each sausage into four pieces), and using slightly less tomato.  My husband suggested adding in bell peppers slices. I enjoyed the texture, but did feel like it needed a little bit more cheese and perhaps a little bit more salt.

Ingredients 
1/2 lb bulk pork sausage, cooked, sliced (I used a box of Applegate Breakfast Sausage)
1/4 cup chopped green onions
4 mushrooms chopped
1 medium tomato, chopped
1 cup shredded mozzarella
1/2 cup pancake mix
5 eggs
1/3 cup milk
1/8 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp garlic
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper

Directions
1. In a greased (I forgot this step-big no no) baking dish, layer the sausage, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes and cheese. 
2. In a large bowl, whisk the pancake mix, eggs, milk, oregano, salt and pepper; pour over cheese.
3. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 35-45 minutes or until top is set and lightly browned.   
4. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.  

*Recipe tweaked from allrecipes.com 

No comments: