Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Bacon: Friend and Foe

Fried eggs just are not complete without a side of bacon. I put bacon bits in salads, and seem to be on this experimental kick of wanting to mix bacon with chocolate or desserts- maple bacon cupcakes, bacon pancakes, toffee bacon brownies-but in the end, I think my body can't process a large amount of bacon. Perhaps strips of bacon are too greasy and/or too fibrous for my body to process, so I have decided I can eat no more than 1 full strip of bacon on any given day. So now I am gluten free, and bacon-sensitive.

If you are allergic to something non-typical, like plums, or eggplant, or the like, how did you stumble upon your conclusion?

2 comments:

Jamie and Preston said...

Oh something I can finally comment on! So, both my sister and I are allergic to fruit. Fresh fruit to be specific. Melons and Bananas evoke the strongest response, but most fruit will give us some type of reaction. I am also allergic to avocados. My mother is allergic to all fruit, it makes her really sick, but somehow when it came to us telling her that we were uncomfortable, itchy, swollen, tummy aches...she didn't think it could be possible. She had some severe health problems as a child and had always thought that her food aversions were because of that. Anyways, it wasn't until Ethan was born and showed similar signs when given fresh fruit (specifically peaches) that my doctor explained what is going on with his (and my body). I had lived my life eating any and all fruit thinking that what I was feeling was just a normal by product of eating something so wonderful...like how too much candy makes you sick...but alas I am not crazy! I now moderate myself much more but still enjoy! The worst for me is avocados-my face literally starts to swell...but they are SO good!

Jamie and Preston said...

FYI I realize an Avocado is a fruit, it just isn't one people typically think of when someone says the word fruit...