Thursday, August 5, 2010

Gluten Free Calzones

Several months ago I made a pie crust from the Gluten Free Pantry Pie Crust mix, and I froze the second half of the dough. Well I was starting to think the dough might not be good for much longer so I pondered about what else I could make using the pie dough, and it came to me- calzones.

I mixed up some cheese, spinach, some salt & pepper, and an egg (as a binder), and rolled out the dough- yes it rolled out with wax paper between the roller and the dough. They needed alll come out great shape wise but it worked, and then I baked them. I wasn't really sure how long to bake them, but I went off the guidelines of the pie crust instructions and a calzone recipe, and ended up baking them for 30 minutes at 375 and well....

they were a little too done...a little extra crispy on the bottom, and they got harder as they cooled. It sort of reminded me of a hot pocket, from what I vaguely recall. We ate them, but they weren't as satisfying as I was hoping for. Next time I would cook them for less time or try a pizza dough mix, as pizza dough seems like it might have more of the right consistency.

I'd love to hear if you've you've tried making calzones, and if were successful or not.

2 comments:

Olinda said...

I tried to make a cheese calzone with Dia cheese and it came out overcrisp and fell apart in the plate! It was way too dry. I also used the Gluten Free Pantry Pie Crust mix. I could hardly eat it.
I agree, it might just work with a pizza crust better. Dang it.

Mom said...

It must be some kind of calzone curse! I wasn't even using gluten free dough and my dough just fell apart and I wound up making it into a giant pot pie. Have never had trouble with a crust like that ever.