Saturday, May 15, 2010

Cheese Please!

For years I've been obsessed with cheese. A friend and I used to ask random people, at random times, to name a random cheese, which ever first came to mind, and whenever we're together and end up at the grocery store we can't help but buy cheese. Today I took my love of cheese one step further- I learned how to make it, Havarti that is. Mild in flavor, great with added dill, and super easy to make. Ok, maybe that's an understatement, there are several steps to take, and a few of those will happen at home the next couple of days, but it was fun, nonetheless.

Currently my cheese is sitting on the counter, resting and drying. It doesn't look like much right now, but that's all right.
And since the cheese we made today won't be ready for a month or so, we had to stop and buy some new cheese to satisfy that creamy, dairy desire. I picked out Old Amsterdam Gouda, and this stuff is delicious. I wish I had bought a larger wedge.
I do hope to learn how to make cheese from a non-dairy milk someday, and I love a challenge, but for now I'm sticking with good old cow's milk, with a little goat milk mixed in from time to time. :-)

2 comments:

Olinda said...

Wow! How fun! Let me know how it tastes!

Mom said...

You must have inherited the dairy farmer gene. Your Grandpa Pete would be proud of you