Sunday, April 4, 2010

Homemade Sushi Experience

I am a huge fan of ham, and in my opinion ham seems to be a somewhat traditional item for Easter, but this year my husband and I decided to do something else; something we'd been talking about trying- making sushi rolls. We visited Oto's Japanese Market here in Sacramento for all our supplies from nori to sushi grade fish. I really had no idea how much of an involved endeavor this was going to be. We didn't make sushi rice, I just did regular short grain rice, with a little extra water to make it more sticky. He smashed it in the mat, and for a moment all I could think of is part of Margaret Cho's skit about how rice was used as glue in her house growing up. Basically it was a sticky mess.

Once we actually got the rice to cooperate, we loaded it up with fish, cucumbers, avocado, and cream cheese. We had tuna on the inside and salmon on the outside.

And the result, well you can see below. It looked nice, and it only took us about two hours to make 3 rolls, lol. (Although some of that time was spent watching my husband be a perfectionist, and that's cool, but...still.). It generally stayed together, but after the cost of really good fish, and the time it took to make I don't think this will become a regular activity in our house.

No comments: