Friday, March 26, 2010

Petosa Sweet Potato Brownie Mix

Awhile bake I was approached by Mixes from the Heartland, and did not have a good experience with a couple of their soup/chowder mixes. Their cheeseburger chowder and the Harvest Chicken and Rice meals, well let's just say I followed the directions but in the end a pound of ground turkey and 2 chicken breasts were lost in the process.

Then most recently I was approached by Petosa, which I discovered is the west coast packaging component of the same company. This time I was given some dessert options the company produces. In the end I tried out the Sweet Potato Brownie Mix, and this go around I had a much better experience.

When it comes to breads and sweets if the dough doesn't mix up right or taste right, it is generally true, from my personal experience, that the item isn't going to cook or taste right when finished. This batter whipped up nicely, and tasted good before baking, and even better after baking. Now would I call this a brownie- not sure. It's kind of more of a cross between a brownie and a cake, but let me tell you it is quite tasty with cream cheese frosting. It would also be better with some add ins like nuts, or perhaps toffee bits, but again that's just my preference. Overall I would give this particular mix a 3.5 out of 5.

This company makes, I believe 40+ mixes, and I have had a success one out of three times. Their directions and nutritional information need some work. For instance, how many servings are actually in a package- I discovered the soup mixes are meant to feed a family of 6-8 people; that's a lot of food, so what if you only want to make half the package- not instructions for that, or how many calories are in a prepared serving, not just the dry mix (that's not very helpful). Would I try something else from this company- most likely, but it would probably be some sort of dessert mix- perhaps muffins, or a cake mix.

No comments: