Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Whole Foods Recipe iPhone Application

If you have a iphone, a food allergy, and shop at Whole Foods perhaps you'd be interested in knowing that they recently came out with a recipe application. It is a free application that will allow you to look up what you might like to make for dinner. Now when I first heard there was some sort of food application for whole foods, I thought wouldn't it be awesome if it had the store's gluten free list and you could search for products in their store database. Or to take it one step further, it would be totally rad if it had a scan feature, and you could scan the bar code of a product on the shelf and it could tell you if the product was gluten free or other allergens, made in a shared or dedicated facility, etc.

Alas, it doesn't do any of that. It would also be great if you could tell it which Whole Foods location you're in, and once you select a recipe, which aisles in the store your needed ingredients could be found on, but it doesn't do that either. Essentially it's just a recipe guide, which I generally know what I'm buying before I go to the store. I know not everyone plans ahead like that, but I would think most do.

So, so far you're thinking I'm completely against this application, but I'm not- not completely. It does allow you to type in ingredients you have on hand and then search for a recipe that incorporates those items. It will bring up recipes by course, category (no-cook, quick & easy etc.), and special diet, which includes gluten free, dairy free, fat free, high fiber, low fat, low sodium, sugar conscious, vegan, vegetarian, wheat free. For a free app, it's decent, but it could be so much more.

No comments: