I like to make sure we have some healthy lunch time options in the house, but green salads can get boring after awhile. Unlike my husband's habit to play wii everyday, I know he likes it when I switch it up for his lunch. Yes the word salad is still involved, but this is a tasty, vegetarian option: Quinoa Salad.
1 cup quinoa (white or red)
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 cup mushrooms, quartered
1/4 cup chopped bell pepper.
1/4 cup chopped onion
handful of chopped green onions
1/4 cup kidney beans
1/4 cup pinto beans
1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 tsp garlic
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1. Place the quinoa and water in a medium sauce pot. Bring to boil, turn to low, cover, and let sit for 15 minutes.
2. In a saucepan heat olive oil and saute mushrooms, green onions, and onion.
3. Combine quinoa and sauteed vegetables in a bowl.
4. Add in beans, and seasonings.
5. Combine lemon juice and olive oil. Pour over top. Mix well.
6. Store in fridge until ready to serve.
You could easily add in feta cheese, hard boiled eggs, green beans, or anything else you want. I pretty much just used what I had in the house. The husband told me it was satisfying, so I'm glad he liked it.