Friday, January 15, 2010

Power Cookies from Baked Goodness

While at a local craft fair this winter, browsing for ideas and gifts, I stumbled upon a gluten free foods vendor, Baked Goodness Power Cookies. The company is located right here in Sacramento so I thought it was odd that I had heard of them before, but in any case, I managed to ask a few questions in the midst of the busy craft fair environment.

Some new companies aren't exactly aware of how important it is as to who they are sourcing their ingredients, so when I saw gluten-free oats listed on the package I inquired into their sourcing, and they do indeed use safe oats. Then I saw an ingredient that made my eyebrow raise EnergySmart: "natural grain dextrins." Now since this is a special blend from another company, they won't tell you what specifically is in it, but they will tell you what is not in it. So with that said this ingredient is safe, but for those who are ultra sensitive, I would say eat this product at your own risk.

With all that discovered, I bought a pack. Two of these cookies have 5 grams of protein and 5 grams of fiber, and 10% of your daily intake of calcium and iron. Mainly made from flax seed meal and brown rice flour, these are some hearty, healthy cookies. The texture of the cookies reminds me of Enjoy Life's snickerdoodle cookies, soft and chewy, and not too grainy. For me they did have a minor banana taste on the back end, but overall enjoyable. In addition to being gluten free, these and the 2 other kinds the company makes (which are not gluten free as of yet) are all 100% vegan.

No comments: