Friday, November 13, 2009

Organic Essence Lip Balm

Recently I was given a new lip balm to try from Organic Essence. Now before I share my thoughts on this product I have to tell you that I am a lip balm freak. I go through a tube a month for sure, maybe more. My dad used to use the original "chapstick", the one with the black label, the entire time I was growing up. I used that one for a long while, and then switched over to their newer 100% natural lip butter line a couple years ago. I've tried at least a dozen kinds, but I always end up coming back to "chapstick".

So with that said, you know it's tough to please me in this department. It can't be too waxy, it can't have a funny taste, or make my lips warm, it definitely can't be mint flavored (I hate mint), it can't have a tint, it needs to be reasonably priced, and most importantly, it actually needs to moist my lips, and not just for 2 minutes. Does Organic Essence fit the bill? Well, they offer their new lip balm in 5 varieties: almond, grapefruit, mint, vanilla, and natural. I tried out the almond flavor. It comes in a new eco-friendly tube, so you have to squeeze the heavy paper packaging to advance the stick. The cap itself can be difficult to put back on, so that I didn't like, but it is slightly larger than the average stick, so that makes up for the cap issue.

With regards to texture, I did not find it as smooth going on, but once you pucker your lips together, it has this nice, almost melting sensation, and it smooths out. Another plus is that it does not have a funny taste, at least not for me. Some products linger, they taste like medicine or sunscreen, or something similar. The breaking point is the price, coming in at what I consider a steep $6.99. I personally can not afford to pay that much for lip balm, and why would I when I can buy a perfectly decent product for $2.99 a stick. Yes there are a few extra ingredients in the "Chapstick" compared to the Organic Essence line, but none of them sound nearly as bad as what is in basic "Chapstick." Conclusion, the Organic Essence lip balm is a great product; I'd use it if I won it, or somehow obtained it for free or practically nothing, but otherwise, I've got to stick with my pocketbook-friendly Chapstick.

Organic Essence Almond Lip Balm Contains:
Beeswax, Sunflower Oil, Shea Butter, Cocoa Butter, Flavors and Tocopherol (Viatmin E)

Chapstick 100% Natural Lip Butter Contains:
Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Jojoba Esters, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Flavor, Beeswax, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Glycine Soja (Soybean) Lipids, Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed (Mango Butter), Octyldodecanol, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil (Olive Butter), Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil (Avocado Butter), Rubus Idaeus (Raspberry) Seed Oil (Raspberry Butter), Tocopherol, Tocopheryl Acetate

Black Label Class Chapstick Contains:
arachidyl propionate, camphor, carnauba wax, cetyl alcohol, D&C red no. 6 barium lake, FD&C yellow no. 5 aluminum lake, fragrance, isopropyl lanolate, isopropyl myristate, lanolin, light mineral oil, methylparaben, octyldodecanol, oleyl alcohol, paraffin, phenyl trimethicone, propylparaben, titanium dioxide, white wax

No comments: