Sunday, November 29, 2009

It's Wicked Cool

We saw Wicked on Black Friday in San Francisco! This may be a shock to some of you, as I have boldly stated I hate musicals. However, I think Wicked has slightly changed my opinion. I think I need to be strongly interested in the story line to somewhat enjoy the show. I have seen both Phantom of the Opera and now Wicked, 2 shows I had a strong desire to see, and enjoyed.

We had some great seats at the Orpheum Theater in San Francisco, and we got a great parking space right across the theater without having to pay to park-awesome, especially when in San Francisco. The only thing I didn't like about the show was after we applauded the cast did a little fundraiser speech, soliciting us for money (although for a good cause). It just really sucked us out of the after-show glimmer and back to reality way too quick. Ignoring that fact, the costumes were great, the story was great, and the cast seemed very talented. I loved the quirky-blondness of Glinda the Good Witch, and I really appreciated the dance aspect of the show, thanks to my continuous viewing of "So you Think you can Dance."

Would I recommend the show to other non-musical folks? Yes, if they liked the Wizard of OZ even a little. While the tickets can get pricey, it was worth it. Perhaps there will be other muscials in my future.

3 comments:

Jamie and Preston said...

I am so jealous that you guys saw this! We have been wanting to go but finding a sitter + upcoming christmas for 2 kidos means not enough extra time and money for mom and dad! So glad that you enjoyed it! Another great one, although a bit sexual in content, is Spring Awakening-FANTASTIC Musical Score! We are totally theater junkies so if you ever have any questions about shows just ask!

Olinda said...

How is it sexual Jamie? I am curious since I haven't seen the show. I heard from 3 other people that saw it said that it was incredible but they never mentioned sexual.
I just love costuming since I used to sew and I also did makeup for Sacramento's Spring Fling one year.

Jamie and Preston said...

The whole play is about the sexual repression of teenagers in 19th Century Germany, The language is strong, F word, B word, and there are references to sex, and self gratification. THere is one scene in which some nudity is shown but it wasn't over the top,. (a bum and a chest at the production we saw) It isn't something for children that's for sure. That said, I loved the story, the music, the actors, and the emotion behind it. I mean every person as a teenager has questions about this kind of thing right. Check out the website for the production for more info: http://www.springawakening.com/home.php