Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Acorn Squash

So while at Dave's Pumpkin Patch this past weekend I decided I wanted to bake some squash. I had never had acorn squash, and I was told it was similar to butternut squash, which my husband likes, so I got a couple of each kind and then later figured out what to do with them. It was really difficult to cut this sucker in half, but eventually I I got it split. I scooped out the center seeds, and followed this fairly easy recipe for a great side dish.

Ingredients:
1 medium size acorn squash
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup butter
1 cup nuts
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 Tsp cinnamon
1/8 Tsp nutmeg
3 Tbsp orange juice

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cut squash in half and scrap out seeds.
3. Set squash halves, cut side up, on baking sheet.
4. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
5. Cover with foil.
6. Bake 25 minutes.
7. Combine butter, nuts, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg and orange juice.
8. Remove foil and fill centers with stuffing.
9. Bake another 15 to 20 minutes, uncovered.

The stuffing stays a liquid/soup, but if you use a spoon and scoop it out, dipping the piece into the center liquid, it is absolute delicious. Very sweet and savory. You could very easily buy some small baby acorn squash, chop off the top, scoop out the center, and do individual servings for everyone for an awesome preservation.

Recipe from 1,000 GF Recipes by Carol Fenster

2 comments:

Olinda said...

This looks delish, AND it makes a great soup using coconut milk! so creamy and thai tasting.

Kendra said...

I just sent you a recipe for quinoa-stuffed acorn squash. delicious and healthy!