Saturday, July 4, 2009

Gluten Free Red Vines?

We were having a movie night and I finally remembered to buy some gluten free licorice at Gluten Free Specialty. I look at it all the time but never bought it. I figured it would be a nice treat for this month's movie night, since my husband loves eating red vines for a movie, and I can't have them because they contain my sworn enemy: gluten. I picked up a box of Black Ace Red Licorice and threw them in my purse for the movie. When I opened the box I thought it was odd to see tiny little circles instead of short robe pieces, but hey, the shape didn't matter, right? As for the taste and texture comparison, I would not call this product licorice. They remind me more of a Dot candy or a cherry gummi bear than a red vine. Yes they are quite tasty, but the product name threw me for a loop. To me licorice should not be a gummi-chewy constancy, but a slightly dry, tough-chewy, but that is just one girls' opinion. In any case, this candy is good, but not exactly what I was hoping for. In the future I'd like to try out another brand, Candy Tree, which at least looks more like what I'm searching for.

4 comments:

Olinda said...

Hey, they look edible. Good candy for the movies. I love red ropes but haven't had one in YEARS. Looking forward to tasting these.

Marcie said...

Wondering if you tried the Candy Tree red licorice and if it was good or not? I read one review that said it wasn't good. I've got a hankering for some red licorice though so am looking for a GF brand. I also found this GF red licorice: https://www.raisingthecandybar.com/shop/details.asp?id=280&iCat=11&iSubOne=59&iSubTwo=145. Haven't seen any reviews of it. Thanks for your review of the Black Ace red licorice as I was looking at that one too.

Debbie said...

Great question Marice. I have not had the Candy Tree brand, but I will have a resource to buy it very soon, this week in fact, so I'll be trying it and reviewing it within the next month. I did however try Red Scotties from Licorice International and they completely remind me of red vines. Never heard of that other brand but I'll look into it.

Anonymous said...

Funny you should mention gluten free Red Vines. Red Vines are my favorite candy, but I'm allergic to gluten. I went so far as to write to the Red Vines company and ask them to try to come up with a gluten free version. They wrote back declining my request :(

So please someone find something similar and gluten free!