Thursday, June 18, 2009

It's a Wonderful Lie

I picked up this book at the book store and read the first chapter before I ever left the store. Normally I don't get drawn into a book quite so quickly, but this book just captivated me. Something about reading about other people who have experienced the same sucky life circumstances I have, or worse, is just well....hilarious. A girl writing a letters to her crappy apartment the day she moves out, another who describes how hard it was breaking up with her most supportive partner ever...MasterCard, and the list continues.

Well the title of this book is It's a Wonderful Lie: 26 Truths about Life in your Twenties. It's a collection of 26 short, true-life stories about the "fun" trials and tribulations of the average 20- something woman, written by average woman. Still being in my mid-20's I'm sure I still have much to endure, but the road I'm on, which has an occasional cliff I contemplate jumping off (mentally, of course), will surely make me stronger and more confident as a 30-something, so I hope. If nothing else, it'll give me some war stories to tell around the campfire.

If I were to write a letter to all of my past residences, I surely would have to mention the blister of water in the ceiling of my bathroom that popped open on my head while I was in the shower (gross) or the overweight 40 yr old guy who lived above me and liked to play barn yard animals with his girlfriend on his kitchen table and also in the shower (nasty!) or the neighbor who liked to sing musicals in his shower, which was right next to my bed, at 4 am every weekday (annoying!)... but of course we had our good moments too. Freedom, security, and let's not forget all the laughs.

The hair-dos, the wardrobe choices, boyfriends, apartments, debt, crisis...it's all in here. Have a good laugh & grab yourself a copy. It's therapeutic. I'm striving for an all out shopping spree, and no shared walls....Hey a girl can dream, can't she? Maybe my dreams will come true just like the women who shared their experiences in this book.

No comments: