Saturday, April 4, 2009

Toffee Bars

My mom used to make the most amazing toffee bars and I haven't even thought about them in years, until a few days ago when I was flipping through my newest cookbook looking for a new dessert to make. There they were...toffee bars. The plus was I had all the ingredients in the house and the recipe looked simple enough. I let my bars cool and a few hours later I tried one, and they were heavenly.

Ingredients
5 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 egg yolk
1 cup GF flour (use your fav blend. I used Tom Sawyer blend)
1 1/2 xanthan gum (included in Tom Sawyer blend)
1/4 tsp salt
6 oz chocolate
1/3 cup toasted almonds

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease an 8" square pan.
3. Mix butter, brown sugar, and egg yolk.
4. Beat in salt, xanthan gum, and flour blend.
5. Spread/press the dough into pan.
6.Bake 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
7. Remove pan from oven and immediately lay chocolate bar or chips on top of the bars. When melted enough spread evenly with a knife. (I turned the oven down to low and popped the pan back into the oven for a few minutes to speed up the melting.)
8. Sprinkle almonds on top.
9. Enjoy!

From Carol Fenster's 1,000 GF Recipes pg 447

2 comments:

Olinda said...

OK, I'm in...I will try to make these bars this coming weekend. I have only a few hours a day on Saturday to do something special for myself. This will be one of them.

Carrie said...

DEB! Those look AMAZING!!! Will have to add these to my make list ASAP!! It looks SO good!! Have a good week!