Monday, November 7, 2011

Vegan Lasagna

I decided to be extra adventurous with dinner this week. I love eggplant, zucchini, mushrooms, spinach, Daiya cheese, and cashew cheese, but how are they all together? I figured I would try and use the zucchini as my pasta, and make a gluten free, dairy free, vegan lasagna. I've been eating more vegetables lately, as if I didn't already eat more than the average person, and thus have found myself leading a slightly more vegetarian diet.

I love cheese, but the one downfall to real cheese for any baked dishes is that it gets gummy and messes up the sponge when you wash dishes. I have gotten hooked to herb cashew cheese by a local Sacramento vendor; it's great paired with crackers and veggies. It sort of has the consistency of ricotta, and thus I used it as a replacement in my pseudo-lasagna dish. Basically I just layered all my veggies and cheese, plus some homemade pasta sauce like anyone would and baked it for 45 minutes at 375 degrees.

It got a little bit more liquid-like than my typical lasagna,most likely from the moisture of the vegetables, but it was absolutely delicious! And I didn't feel bad about eating it.

1 comment:

Olinda said...

I have to try this...gotta find out where to buy cashew cheese. I have never tried it.