Thursday, November 17, 2011

Against the Grain Stuffing

I made my first batch of stuffing a couple of weeks ago and used a great recipe from Against the Grain Gourmet.  I'm not really a huge fan of stuffing, but since I've been giving everything else like soup a try, why not stuffing? And I got rave reviews!

Here's the recipe I followed directly from the company.

Ingredients:
2 Against The Gain Baguettes, sliced and lightly toasted*
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 ribs celery, finely chopped
1⁄2 stick butter
1 large egg
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Toast baguette slices for approx 15-20 min @ 250-300, and dice in approx 1⁄2 inch cubes.
2. Melt butter in frying pan; add chopped celery, onion, salt, and pepper and sauté for approximately five minutes. If you specifically want rosemary stuffing, add a Tbsp of fresh chopped rosemary to your sautéed vegetables.
3. Toss butter and vegetable mix with bread crumbs; add raw egg until evenly moistened.
4. Stuff turkey cavity and place in preheated oven (I cook my turkey at 325, but follow directions on turkey packaging.)
5. Bake uncovered for 1 hour. After one hour, cover breast with a small piece of muslin, and baste as needed until done, pouring off juices as necessary. You don’t need to cover the exposed stuffing if you like the surface to be slightly crispy.

*You could also make it dairy free by using the dairy free country Vermont rolls instead of the baguettes.  

No comments: