Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Farm Fresh Boxes

At some point I'm sure you've run across a farm fresh to you box; a cardboard box with black print. A few months ago there was a groupon coupon for a farm fresh to you box for 50% off.  For $15 we could get a box of fruits and veggies worth $31.50. We bought the coupon since we head to farmer's market every week and spend about $8-$10 for produce each time. Considering the amount of stuff we end up coming home with, it's well worth it. 

So this week we skipped farmer's market since we received our farm box. In the box was the following: 1 honeydew melon, 1 pint cherry tomatoes, 3 plums, 3 pluots, 3 oranges, 1 head of broccoli, 4 corns, 1 cucumber, 1 thing celery, 1 head of lettuce, and some basil.

I like how customizable their program is; you can go through herbs, vegetables, and fruits, and pick which ones you definitely don't want in your box. However, I feel like I could have bought the same amount of items for $15 or less if I had gone to the farmer's market myself.  No way would I pay $31.50 for what I got. Sure, convenience is something people are willing to pay for, and sure, everything in the box was organic, but I'm not willing to spend that much just because it's organic.  Others may have a different take on this, but this service is overpriced for me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

They are priced a bit high, they are a few dollars more then the Full Belly (of gluten) boxes. I have found that if I get them only once every four weeks it balaces out my farmers market shopping and can bring down my fresh produce costs a bit. But as the boxes come every fourth week regardless of month I keep forgetting which week it's going to be be and now I have about 10 flat FFtY boxes in my hallway waiting for me to remember to put them on the porch on the correct week. :(

Barbara said...

Hi Debbie,

We're glad you are enjoying your box! Saw your blog on my Google Alerts. Are you on our Facebook page? We have over 10,000 people sharing recipes and having one big produce party. Thank you for your support of our organic family farm and our partner farms.

Best,

Barbara, Farm Fresh to You

Kody Lawson said...

Hi thankks for posting this