Friday, July 22, 2011

New Cookie Cookbook

Luane Kohnke has been baking for more than 20 years. She has a BA in sociology and political science, and yet her love of baking won. Her book has 50 recipes broken down into chapters such as classics, for the kids, bars & squares, meringues, celebrating, and fruit delights.  It was really hard to decide which recipe to make first, but after some evaluation of what I had in the house and given the season I went with her recipe for smore bars.

The crust was really easy to whip together but I had my concerns about baking the crust and then adding toppings; I didn't think they were going to stick together.  Although things did sort of melt the toppings of goodness could still be peeled off the bars if you wanted to.  The crust was a little softer than I anticipated and was semi-crumbly.  It perhaps could have been baked a few minutes longer but I was fearful of it being hard as a rock, and I didn't know until after the fact.  Lesson learned for next time.

As for overall taste and what not, have you ever been unsatisfied by a smore? I think not. They were delicious and should not be consumed without a glass of milk at the ready.

No comments: