Friday, April 15, 2011

Tuna Casserole

I have a love/hate relationship with canned tuna.  I like it when you mix it up with mayo and eat it right away, but I had the smell, the clean up, and don't get me started on putting any leftovers in the fridge. Canned tuna is cheap, so I understand how tuna casserole came to be, but nothing about it appealed to me. This is why I have never had tuna casserole...until recently.

As a lover of food, I had a change of heart.  I had seen a recipe in a store newsletter, and unlike other recipes that use various soups, this one used butternut squash soup, which I use for mac and cheese when I make it from scratch, so it sounded promising.  I skipped the peas and the celery, common ingredients, and went with mushrooms and onions. Otherwise I followed the recipe, and it turned out really well.  In fact I was surprised at how creamy, and how NOT-like tuna it tasted. (Sorry for the lack of picture.)

1 comment:

Olinda said...

I like Tuna casserole. Don't make it much. Don't know why...and I like tuna on toast.