Friday, April 1, 2011

Tomato Soup

If you haven't heard me say it before, well I'm shocked, but I HATE soup. I don't find it satisfying, and always makes me think of when I was young and ill, all I was allowed to eat was soup. Recently I found myself in the hospital and I had it noted that I was on a gluten free diet and what did they serve me for lunch- soup! Something I both personally dislike, and something that would make any gluten intolerant or Celiac person worried. No clue where the soup came from I was nervous. Gluten in my system would be a quite unpleasant addition to my already injured and delicate state. I wasn't that hungry anyway so I had a few spoonfuls but ate my cottage cheese and fruit.

When I came home from the hospital I still didn't have much of an appetite but knew I needed to eat.  I also didn't have the energy to make much for myself, so I went to the back of my pantry and pulled out a thing of...

gluten free tomato soup (Pacific Foods Creamy Tomato)  that I hold on to for absolute emergencies. Out of all the soup options out there Tomato Soup is the one I despise the least, maybe because my mom paired it with grilled cheese when I was a kid, and I LOVE cheese.

The container offers 2 decent servings. I added in some Glutino Crackers, grabbed a spoon, and headed for the couch. I have tried to make tomato soup from scratch and man oh man was that a disappointing experience, but this stuff wasn't half bad, and for me to say that is saying something.  It does contain dairy, so not for everyone, but certainly palatable, and for some, probably very good.

No comments: