Friday, March 4, 2011

The Cake Doctor

If you need a little extra inspiration on what to bake in your cake pan, besides for basic chocolate or yellow cake with basic frosting, I've got the cookbook for you: The Cake Mix Doctor Bakes Gluten-Free by Anne Byrn. There are some great gluten free cake mixes on the market, but despite a few suggestions on their packages, it seems like people still need a little extra push in the right direction to make and bake up gourmet style cakes. Premade gluten free cakes and bakery treats are great, but you can make some pretty impressive things in your very own kitchen,...
and Anne Byrn is making it simple for you.

1 Vanilla cake mix, plus orange juice, a little zest, and in less than an hour you'll have an elegant orange layer cake. What about upside down pineapple cake, one pan caramel cake, chocolate chip amaretto pound cake, and even more mouth water desserts.

Every recipe starts with a packaged mix, throw in some ingredients and a beautiful dessert is born. I decided to made the chocolate chip pistachio cake, using Bob's Red Mill Vanilla Cake Mix.  The recipe was pretty close to how I make my pistachio chocolate chip cookies during Christmas time, so I figured it would probably be good as a cake too. My assumptions were right. It was a very moist cake, and stayed that way for about a week. I personally think you could go without any frosting for this one, but that's up to you.

I'm anxious to try a few other recipes, including the strawberry cake with strawberry cream cheese frosting, but I'm trying to limit the number of desserts we have in the house at one time, and haven't gotten to it yet.  When I do I will surely let you know if it was a big hit. (strawberry cake post here)