Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Candy Pizza

Pizza can be so much more than sauce, cheese, and pepperoni, and in fact, it can even be dessert. When I was a kid my mom would make candy pizza, even though when I asked her for the recipe she only vaguely recalled making it. She made a lot of specialty treats, so no doubt she wouldn't remember all of them. Anyhow, I used the original recipe as inspiration, and then kind of went on the fly from there.

I made my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe (or you could use a boxed cookie mix), but instead of making small rounds for cookies, you'll want to get out a pie plate, or my preferred preference, a spring-form pan, and pour all the dough into the pan. Depending on the size of the pan, you may want to reserve some of the dough and make a few cookies after. In any case, the dough probably shouldn't surpass your knuckle, or it won't bake right. You'll want to bake the cookie for roughly 30-35 minutes, until it's a big soft cookie. Take it out, let it cool, and prep your favorite "sweet" toppings.

You'll need a replacement for pasta sauce, so fudge sauce seems like the obvious sauce. Make sure you pick up a gluten free jar- I used Fudge is my Life brand. Spread on the fudge sauce, and then pick out some sweet toppings. I made this for Halloween, so I used candy corn, marshmallows, and peanut M & M's, but you can use whatever you want. I even sprinkled on some minced nuts. Get creative. This super sweet treat makes a fun presentation and is always a hit with the younger crowd.

No comments: