Monday, June 7, 2010

Gluten Free Fish Fillets and more...

Somedays we just don't feel like making dinner, but we still need something to eat, so it's nice to know that there are more and more frozen food options that are gluten free. It's a plus if the options are healthy, and that's what the Dr. Praeger's brand is aiming to achieve. The brand was started by 2 surgeons who wanted to offer consumers fresh and convenient foods that are low in saturated fat, sugars, and cholesterol.

The entire line is not gluten free, but there are 9 options for those of us who are gluten free, including fish sticks and fillets. They take about 30-40 minutes in the oven, which is a long time to wait for what should be a "convenient & quick" meal. I mean I could have grilled up fish in less time, but that's ok. There are 6 rectangular fillets in a box for about $6, and they each have about 90 calories. Overall, they were just ok. Somewhat bland in flavor, it takes a long time for these to crisp up, but dip them in ketchup and you'll be good to go. I'm not sure if I'd buy these again, but I do want to try their spinach littles.

1 comment:

Olinda said...

That is a long time for fish to cook up. I just used Choice Batter and dipped fish slices into it and fried it in no time at all. Delicious. Instead of water I used GF beer. They are very light. Great for Tempura.
Next time I am going to try and bake them and see what happens.