Thursday, February 4, 2010

Annie's Mac & Cheese

Kraft Mac and Cheese never really used to be a staple in my house, and for awhile I made my own cheese sauce, but the other day I felt like buying a premade box to see what I thought of it. I ended up trying Annie's Mac and Cheese, and found the pasta itself had a nice taste and texture. The noodles didn't get mushy after they sat for awhile, which was a positive sign.

This mix does contain dairy, and the cheese powder packet reminded me a lot of Kraft, with the typical fake cheese flavor, however, the cheese sauce was super thin. I added some shredded cheese to help thicken the sauce, as well as some salt and pepper to kick up the taste. You can see in the picture the sauce coated the pasta, drained to the bottom, and then sat in a pool on the bottom of the pot. Overall, my only compliant was how thin the sauce was, so I think I'll try this one again, and use less milk then it calls for. I'd probably say I'd get this product a B- for now.

3 comments:

Traci said...

I just recently tried this & didn't really like it the first time- I thought it was too runny too. SO, I made it again & did less milk. I liked it more! BUT, I do like it thicker...so I'll have to try the shredded cheese :)

Gluten Free Princess said...

i have also tried this product. i was just happy i could eat something like this. i play with my food so i added burnt burger, really yummy, more cheese . great. also does well as a chili mac.

Annie's Homegrown said...

Enjoyed reading your review! We have a new Gluten Free Deluxe Rice Pasta and Cheddar with a creamy cheese that will be available soon. Be on the look out for it! http://www.annies.com/glutenfree