Sunday, August 2, 2009

Pretzel Time

When I was in high school every time I went to the mall I had to make a stop at good old Pretzel Time; a soft pretzel with a cheese dip-yummo. Sadly I have not had a soft pretzel is over 5 years until 2 days ago! Once again Pamela's comes to the rescue! Every year they have a consumer-submitted recipe contest, and last year's runner up came up with an awesome recipe for soft pretzels. When I stumbled upon that I knew I had to make them.

I'm reposting the recipe here, but would like to give all the credit to Elizabeth I. for creating these. This was in no way an easy task, as the dough was difficult to work with. And in no way did my pretzels come out looking like attractive pretzels, and in fact they quickly became more of a doughnut shape, affectionately called "doughtzels." I also made some tiny little nubbins that my husband deemed "turdzels," but these were actually perfect for dipping or snacking on. And seriously, these taste like real soft pretzels.

Ingredients
1-1/4 cups warm water (I needed to add a little extra).
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 bag Pamela's Gluten-Free Bread Mix including yeast packet
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tsp baking soda

Directions
1. Whisk together 2-1/4 cups warm water, brown sugar, and yeast in a small bowl. Allow to sit for a few minutes until bubbles begin to show yeast activity.
2. Pour Pamela's Gluten-Free Bread Mix into a large bowl.
3. Stir in remaining ingredients and the yeast mixture until completely combined.
4. Cover with a damp towel and allow to rise for one hour.
5. Divide dough into twelve pieces.
6. With wet hands, roll each piece into a snake between six and eight inches in length.
7. Gently flatten the dough with wet fingers until about half previous height. Pick up one end of the snake, so that half of its length is lifted from the cookie tray. Twist the dough into your deserved shape.
8. Smooth any rough spots with wet fingers.
9. Repeat with each section of dough
10. Preheat oven to 450°
11. Mix remaining cup of warm water and baking soda. Using a pastry brush, gently paint the twists with the baking soda mixture.
12. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until golden brown.
13. Right out of the oven brush with olive oil and shake on some sea salt.

1 comment:

Olinda said...

OK, These were wonderful. I havent had a pretzel in about 10 years. Not like these. They were fun to make. I recommend the turdzels because you can pop them in your mouth and dip them much more elegantly. They pack better also and easier to make than the pretzel shape. They were very sticky so make sure you put water on your hands to form them.

They are worth the time and great for parties.