Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Favorite Foods Aren't Just a Memory

Back in the days when I could out to a restaurant, without a care in the world, the one thing I could never get enough of were the cheese rolls at Red Lobster. Well, a recipe came across my lap a few months ago and I have been dying to try it. Today was the lucky day. It seems that as each person tried it they made their own alterations to the recipe, however nevertheless I must give thanks to Joan, a local Sacramento CSA member, and then there are the two gluten free forum members, Fiddle-Faddle and Robyn Ryberg; Wherever you are- Thank you.

I tweaked the recipe a little to suit my needs, and these are a very close mimic of the seafood chains' cheese rolls! Here's what I did:

Ingredients:
1/3 cup melted butter
3/4 cup original almond breeze: any milk will do.
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup cornstarch
1 1/2 cups Tom Sawyer GF Flour Blend (this has xanthan gum in it. If you use a different blend you will want to add in about 1 tsp xanthan gum).
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Directions
1. Blend all ingredients together in the order listed.
2. Drop golfball-size blobs onto a greased baking sheet. (You'll get about 24 small biscuits, or 8-10 large biscuits).
3. Bake at 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
4. Place on cooling rack.
5. If to be consumed immediately, melt some extra butter and shake in some salt, garlic powder, and some parsley, and brush on with a pastry brush. Otherwise once cooled storage in a Ziploc. When ready to serve heat biscuits up and brush with melted butter mixture.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Looking forward to venturing back into the world of baking with this yummy recipe!

GlutenFreeDee
Dee Valdez

Olinda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Olinda said...

Gosh these sound great I will try these with my pretend cheese and let you know.