Monday, March 2, 2009

Let's Deep Fry!

I'm not a beer drinker but figured since they make gluten free beer I should try it. I tried the Redbridge, which was the most frequently recommended, and well, it was ok. The after taste wasn't bitter and it didn't linger long. And since I had finally tasted GF beer I figured the next step was to cook with it, so why not whip up some beer batter and deep fry whatever we had on hand. We made the following batter and enjoyed some deep fried onion rings, and beer battered shrimp.

Ingredients
2 cups brown rice flour
1 egg, beaten
2 teaspoons dried parsley
3 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 Tbsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 bottle Redbridge beer
1 cup vegatable oil


Directions
1. Combine flour, egg, parsley, garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper.
2. Gradually add beer, stirring, until a thick batter forms. Add more or less beer depending on the desired consistency of the batter, (we used almost the whole bottle).
3. In a frying pan heat up the oil over medium-high heat.
4. Dip whatever food you're going to fry into the batter.
5. Gently drop into hot oil turning occasioanllu to ensure browning evenly on both sides.
6. Drain on paper towels.

Not all that pretty but man, these were delicious!

1 comment:

Olinda said...

I tell you, I was in HEAVEN! I haven't had these in 10 years! I just kept eating...knowing all along that they are indeed vegetables. The shrimp wasn't bad either. Like almost all gluten free things. Best eaten fresh....all of them.