Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Wellness Guide Makes Shopping Easy

Sometime within the last 6 months I noticed that the Nob Hill Family of grocery chains, which includes Raley's & Bel Air have implemented a very handy labeling system for their fine foods brand. The Wellness Guide can be found on the back of any of Raley's brand items, and has labels like" lactose free, low fat, low sodium, whole grain, and gluten free". Since the store brand is typically cheaper than the name brands and often contains the exact same ingredients I have found it easier as of late to buy canned food items like diced tomatoes, canned fruit, etc. and to my surprise I discovered that one of the canned soups, Chicken with Rice, is gluten free!

I know there are some gluten free soup brands out there, but I have to say I am not a fan of any of the ones I've tried. I typically make my own soup from scratch but then the problem is when you really want soup, say when you're sick, you don't really feel like taking the time and energy to make soup and want the convenience of soup out a can. And $0.72 for gluten free condensed soup is quite impressive. I have not actually had the experience of tasting this soup yet as I am saving it for one of those days I'm desperate for quick and easy, which does not normally happen when eating gluten free.

1 comment:

Jamie and Preston said...

Yeah, that makes it easier for people like me to shop for you! Good to know! Enjoy your yummy soup Deb!